Every man may skid from his normal chain through his acts which we call errors. Review, Revision, Appeal etc are the judicial accessories to correct the mistakes. An error may occur from the part of attorney. So the document view can act as the preventive measure to neutralize faults, mistakes and errors made by the attorney or a person authorized to represent or support the clients.
Document review or Doc Review is a valuable main staple of the type of work performed by attorneys for their clients. It can be regarded as a process of an attorney reading written material related to a case. Doc review is essential in case of litigation, merger and acquisitions and government and internal investigation. Though attorneys do still review hard copy documents today most documents are reviewed electronically either as native files that originally created electronically or as electronic copies of document that were originally created in hard copy format.
NEED OF DOC REVIEWERS
Document review has a great significance in nourishing the element of justice in a judgment. Document review is carried out by document reviewers or document review specialists who are the trained legal professionals examine documents relevant to a pending litigation or regulatory investigations. They are most often attorneys, paralegals or litigation support service personnel. They have to examine documents for relevance, responsiveness, privilege and confidentiality.
In Qualcomm Inc v. Broadcom Corp. it was placed that there is a significant potential personal liability on attorneys for failing to produce documents responsive to a discovery request.
RRPC is regarded as the four factors that act as the core target of document review process. It stands for Relevance Responsiveness Privilege and Confidentiality. Each factor is described briefly as follows.
- Relevance: If document containing information is irrelevant to the facts and issues of the case then it need not be produced to the opposite party.
- Responsiveness: If the information is responsive to the bodies, doc reviewers might also tag the hot documents those which contain crucial information to the case and are particularly responsive during the doc review stage.
- Privilege: If the information is subjected to attorney client privilege it must be withheld from production.
- Confidentiality: If the document is confidential, it must be excluded from production.
STEPS INVOLVED IN DOCUMENT REVIEW PROCESS
- Identification of documents wholly or partly to be redacted or mark confidential.
- Analise the information to relate key documents
- Relate key documents to key players testify documents or identify other subjective information
- Understanding of factual issues, formulate legal theories and identify key witnesses to be deposed or called at trial.
Through this article we can conclude that document review is the key element that determines justice in a case. The document reviewers are highly responsible to their work as they can be made liable under the international as well as the national statutes. Document reviewers can be regarded as the modern strand of designation in the legal sector. In future laws governing document reviews may be developed to regulate the conduct of doc reviewers.