The former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura was denied bail by the Delhi High Court in the 2G spectrum allocation scam. He was arrested along with the former telecom minister A Raja on February 2 of this year. Siddharth Behura and A Raja are the only two people who are still in jail as all the other 12 accused have been granted bail by the various courts.
A special bench division of the Supreme Court on Monday rejected the bail plea of the DMK MP Kanimozhi and Kalaignar TV MD Sajjan Kumar in the 2G spectrum scam case. Though the Supreme Court provided that she can move to the trial court afresh for filing charges for the bail again and the rejection of her bail plea by the Supreme Court will not affect the decision of the trial court. The Apex court also provided that section 437 of the Criminal Procedure Court provides for grant of bail for women in cognizable offenses.It was alleged that Kanimozhi and Sharad Kumar received a bribe of Rs 200 crore from Cineyug Films through Shahid Balwa’s DB Realty.
Recently Delhi high court rejected the bail plea of 17 persons including former telecom minister A. Raja and Kanimozhi as they have been charged on grounds of criminal conspiracy, breach of trust, cheating and forgery. Earlier the telecom ministry issued licenses to the telecom operators on first come first serve basis instead of regular biding process.
A bench comprising Justice G. S. Singhvi and Justice H. L. Dattu on Thursday,13th October faulted Govt. for the 2 G Scam. They were hearing the bail pleas of two corporate executives of Unitech Wireless Pvt. Ltd and Swan Telecom nam, Sanjay Chandra and Vinod Goenka , the accused in 2G Scam case and said that the Government could have avoided the scam if they had acted according to the letter by Prime minister dated November 2, 2007 directing the allocation to be done through auction. It is clear from the correspondence between the prime minister and the then telecoms minister Raja, that decision of the telecoms department to decline the auction mode had been informed earlier itself. It could have been possible to take a decision even after Raja had issued the Letters of Intent (LoI) on January 10 as the allocation had been completed much later. The Additional Solicitor General Raja who was opposing the bail pleas said that charges against the accused would have stayed the same even though interference would have prevented the further execution.
The plea of former Telecom minister A.R.Raja, an accused in the 2G scam to appear before the court to support his counsel during the hearing on October 10, 2011 was rejected by a special CBI O P Saini on Friday. The plea was rejected as the Supreme Court has not handed out any requisition concerning Raja’s production before it and without such direction it is not possible for the accused as a person in judicial custody to be allowed to be present in that court.
Confirmation came from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) on Wednesday, that the correspondence between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the then Telecommunications Minister, A.Raja, on the implementation of the telecom policy and 2G spectrum pricing to an applicant under Right to Information Act (RTI) after Central Information Commission (CIC) reworded the specific information sought by the petitioner as his queries were in Hindi which was a mix of allegations and his desire for what the nation should be.
The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to CBI on the bail pleas on DMK MP Kanimozhi and Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar asking to reply by June 20th asking on what has happened to the money being paid as bribe to them in the 2G Spectrum case. The Court asked the CBI to state the loss caused to the exchequer in the issuance of 2G licences. The Court gave seven days time to the CBI to file its reply and another three days time to Kanimozhi and Kumar to file their rejoinder.