In United States of America there is no specified limit of sentence in cases and as a result the sentences are calculated by adding up the sentence of all the offences. And as a result sometimes the sentences mount to 3 hundred years to 4 hundred years.
The law commission of us is going to put a limit of 20 years on maximum and minimum sentences. The United States Sentencing Commission submits to Congress this report on mandatory minimum sentencing provisions in federal law pursuant to the
The statutory directive requires that this report include:
- a compilation of all mandatory minimum sentencing provisions under Federal law;
- an assessment of the effect of mandatory minimum sentencing provisions under Federal law on the goal of eliminating unwarranted sentencing disparity and other goals of sentencing;
- an assessment of the impact of mandatory minimum sentencing provisions on the Federal prison population;
- an assessment of the compatibility of mandatory minimum sentencing provisions under Federal law and the sentencing
- guidelines system established under the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984 (Public Law 98–473; 98 Stat. 1987) and the sentencing
- Guidelines system in place after Booker v. United States, 543 U.S. 220 (2005);
- a description of the interaction between mandatory minimum
- sentencing provisions under Federal law and plea agreements;
- a detailed empirical research study of the effect of mandatory
- minimum penalties under Federal law;
- a discussion of mechanisms other than mandatory minimum
- Sentencing laws by which Congress can take action with respect to sentencing policy.
Report by Abhishek Kumar